How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4956
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Where can I find someone to submit my tax assessment ?

Customer Question

Where can I find someone to submit my tax assessment for me? I need to do it as I am a director of a company. I earned nothing from the company
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. You do not need to make a self assessment tax return unless you are in receipt of income which has not been taxed at source or if HMRC require you so to do. In which situation do you find yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a director of a company that hasn't made any money. All of my income has been properly taxed but I have been fined for not submitting an assessment
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Is it the company or you who have been penalised and for what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It turns out that any income over a certain amount needs an assessment. I wish someone had told me! HMR&C are sending me their data on me from my ex-employer so that I can catch up
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
I suggest that you write to the tax office which imposed the penalty explaining that you were unaware of an ex-employer's reporting of income paid and tax deducted, if any. If HMRC did not ask you to self assess and send you the form for you to complete they cannot fall back on a position, in this case the ex employer, advising them of income of which you had no cognisance. Here is the full list from the Gov UK web site of those people who must make a return: 'You’ll need to send a tax return if, in the last tax year:you were self-employed - you can deduct allowable expensesyou got £2,500 or more in untaxed income, eg from renting out a propertyor savings and investments - contact the helpline if it was less than £2,500your savings or investment income was £10,000 or more before taxyou made profits from selling things like shares, a second home or otherchargeable assets and need to pay Capital Gains Taxyou were a company director - unless it was for a non-profit organisation (eg a charity) and you didn’t get any pay or benefits, like a company caryour income (or your partner’s) was over £50,000 and one of you claimedChild Benefityou had income from abroad that you needed to pay tax onyou lived abroad and had a UK incomeyou got dividends from shares and you’re a higher or additional rate taxpayer - but if you don’t need to send a return for any other reason,contact the helpline insteadyour income was over £100,000you were a trustee of a trust or registered pension schemeyou had a P800 from HMRC saying you didn’t pay enough tax last year - and you didn’t pay what you owe through your tax code or with a voluntary paymentIf you get an email or letter from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) telling you to send a return, you must send it - even if you don’t have any tax to pay.' You have to be a pretty high earner to be caught by these limits. I do hope that you find my reply of assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the help
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Delighted to have been of assistance. Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.