How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4783
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I owe the Inland revenue 13,000 they now want to levy a charge

Customer Question

I owe the Inland revenue 13,000 they now want to levy a charge against the wife has an interest in the property 50% can they do this against her wishes
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. By the way the Inland Revenue ceased to exist some years ago on amalgamation with HM Customs and Excise, to form HMRC. HMRC are quite within their rights to put a charge on your property until the debt is settled. Many organisations, mainly lenders, do this to ensure that they do not loose their money in the event of the property being disposed of in any way. The charge will be complex and against your 50% only. It will also be registered in the Land Charges Register as a warning of a charge to prospective buyers. I do hope that you find my reply of assistance.