How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4792
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I live in Germany but earn no income. I work mainly in

This answer was rated:

Hi, I live in Germany but earn no income. I work mainly in the UK and pay UK tax and NIC. Most years I have worked between 90 and 200 days offshore in the UK sector of the North Sea. I have had the odd job abroad but have always paid UK tax on the earnings. Although I have lived in Germany for 30 years I have never spent more than 183 days in Germany during any period or had any source of income from Germany. My question is, would I be liable to any form of German tax under the rules.
Hello Kevin, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Have a look here as to your position regarding German taxation: From what I read you would appear not likely to be liable for German Tax. Even if you were then, under the Double Taxation Convention between the UK and Germany, the same income stream can only be taxed in one jurisdiction. This is achieved by means of tax credits, the tax deducted in one country being allowed as a tax credit against any liability in the other. The Convention does not protect you from differences in rates of taxation, however. If you are in the UK for over 183 days in any one tax year then you are liable to UK taxation on your world wide income. I do hope that you find my reply of assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the prompt reply, as I have always paid tax to the UK, is there a department in HM Gov that would clear up my status completely i.e. my past history to mitigate any future problems here in Germany. I have noticed how expensive some of the tax firms are for resident issues.Regards
Only your own tax office in UK Kevin. I think you will find the following summary useful: The first two bullet points cover your position. Please be so kind as to rate me Kevin before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.
And your kind bonus.