How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4800
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I work as a care assistance I

This answer was rated:

hi my name is edith *******
I work as a care assistance I am on a zero hour contract they deduct tax an national insurance I also look after a young lady once a month which has be classed as a second job which I pay tax
I have been offered two more jobs with zero hour contracts which I would like to run along side the contract I already have but how does that leave me tax wise
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Basically, in a pickle; that is the flippant answer. Will these new zero hours contracts deduct tax and National Insurance (NI) at source?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't know wanted to know where I stood tax wise
they do with the company I am with now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I don't have a lot of info I think I need to know is will these be class as third and forth jobs and I would pay an lot of tax
Well, let us assume that these new employers do. They will take P46 action with HMRC. You have to be careful that the tax codes issued against these new employments do not give you a personal allowance, Edith. If they do then ask HMRC for them to be amended otherwise you will underpay tax. Remember that you will almost certainly be dealing with different tax offices depending on the employer so tax code errors are a distinct possibility. Make sure that in the end you only have one tranche of personal allowance. As regards ***** ***** is a danger that you will over pay or under pay NI contributions. Over payment is a pain as recovery is all but neigh impossible. If your new employers are not going to operate PAYE then you will have to register with HMRC as self employed. HMRC will send you a self assessment tax return to complete at the end of each tax year (5 April). That means that you will have to keep records of earnings. You will almost certainly have to self assess annually. Watch HMRC's assessment on filing like a hawk. HMRC are past masters at getting hold of the wrong end of the stick if they can even find the stick at all. On filing HMRC will send you a statement of tax owing, if any, ditto NI contributions. After checking you can consider settling the bill. Always bear in mind Benjamin Franklin's dictum that in life there are but two certainties, death and taxes! I do hope that you have found my reply of some assistance.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.