How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4959
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have a client who has just purchased a caravan. He works

This answer was rated:

I have a client who has just purchased a caravan. He works in the contruction industry and moves from building site to building site. A lot of the places he works are remote so the caravan will be used to holding meetings in with other people working on site, meet suppliers, be used for facilities and for a small amount of storage. What is the correct tax treatment of this? Can it be clamied as Plant and Machinery with AIA?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Many years ago I had a client who assisted his wife's florist business. He bought a camper van for this and the Inland Revenue classed this as a van! I recently commented upon this to a colleague and he told me that this is no long allowed; I was not surprised! Here is the advice from Accounting web: 'Caravans occupying holiday sites are treated as plant and machinery qualifying for capital allowances, even if they are on hard standings and not required to be moved.' Unfortunately your usage does not comply with this so it cannot be claimed as plant and machinery. Here is more information from the same site: '“Entitlement to plant and machinery capital allowances on furniture, furnishings, etc. in the let property, as well as on plant and machinery used outside the property (such as vans and tools); but there are no capital allowances for the cost of the property itself or the land on which it stands;” I spoke to HMRC to check the situation and they said that this is the overriding rule and therefore there are no capital allowances available for the cost of the property itself even if it is a caravan.' So this cost cannot be set as an AIA. I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi KeithThank you for your very quick response. I thought that would be the case, I will explain this to the client. I'm not sure how they will take it but rules are rules.Best regardsJack
Yes, Jack, you could have knocked me down with a feather when the Inland Revenue allowed it as a van instead of a car so many years ago! Thank you for your support.