How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have a very small pension that I have been receiving years

Customer Question

I have a very small pension that I have been receiving for some years from the UK .
It has been deposited into a savings account in Scotland which allows me to have some cash to use when I go over to visit my relatives.
I live in Canada at this time , and have been retired for some years, and this small pension gives me a little extra to help my expenses.
Would it be considered tax evasion since I have not declared it in my tax return, since I have not had it sent to Canada
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. As a Canadian resident you are liable to taxation on your world wide income. You should have declared this small pension to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). You should now make your peace with the Agency and come clean as to this source of income. If this pension has been taxed at source in the UK then under the Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and Canada the same income stream cannot be taxed in both jurisdictions and you will receive a tax credit for the UK tax deducted to use against the Canad***** *****ability. I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.