How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am an employee who has been transferred by TUPE. I was

This answer was rated:

I am an employee who has been transferred by TUPE. I was employed by my previous company for over a year before they lost their contract. My first months wages from my new company were short of what I was expecting, to date I have received no payslip. I have been told that my wages were short because I have been TUPE'd am now on emergency tax - is this correct?


Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer,

Has your payday shifted (for example from month end to part way through the month - or from monthly to weekly - please advsie further



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My payday was the 27th of the month we were working in and now it is the 10th of the following month. My last pay date with the old company was 27th March the first pay I received from the new company was on 10th May.


Thanks for your response

This is why the pay has changed - as in essence will receive this first months pay split over two pay dates - so your usual pay of 27th of the month then sees you having a total month and part month pay on 10th of May

This interferes with the allocation of the tax free personal allowances - as in essence you have could have been awarded two monthly allowances from your tax free pay - but as one and a bit payments fell into one pay period - this then also adjusts to bring you in line with your new pay date.

And yes they would have then perhaps had to award you month one tax or you would have had too many tax free allowances - and instead would owe HMRC tax.

The next payment due to you on 10 June will look normal -



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Thank you for the information you provided. So just to confirm: My last salary with the old employer was received on 27th March 2016. Then we transferred to the new company on 1st April. In April I did not receive any payment from the new company. On 10th May 2016 I received a payment which was about £70 short of what I was expecting. My monthly salary is only approx. £300 pcm ( I am a part time cleaner!), does this seem correct to you? I do have another part time job which is PAYE, I do 12hours a week at £7.20 an hour. These two jobs are my only source of income. Thank you.


I can only confirm if you can advise

1) The actual pay you get per hour (not sure f the £7.20 per hour relates to the other job)

2) How many hours did you do from 28th March to 10 May

3) The tax code used on the pay in March 2016 and the tax code used on 10 May 2016

I can then advise further



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From the 28th March to 10th May inclusive I did 58 hours. Both jobs pay £7.20.
Tax code used in March was 500T - Tax code used on 10th May was OT 1 . Thanks


Thanks for your question

There lies the reason - the new "employer" failed to make use of the tax code 500T against your continuing pay with you.

You have two choices how to proceed -

1) Establish with this new TUPE'd owner - what their PAYE reference number is ***** then armed with your National insurance number phone HMRC to rectify your tax code giving them the new employer reference number (call them on 0300(###) ###-####between 8am and 8pm - call as soon after 8am or as close to 8pm as possible)


2) Ask your employer to complete a starter employee form for you (although they should have transferred your details over from the last employer details BUT as this first payment fell into a new tax year they clearly were being over cautious in using tax code 0T

Either way will see you getting a tax refund on the first pay day after the new tax code has been implemented against this pay.

Do let me know if I can be of any further assistance but it would be appreciated if you would rate me (or click accept) for the level of service I have provided.



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you