How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I purchased shares in the company that I work 2008 and sold

This answer was rated:

Hi - I purchased shares in the company that I work for in 2008 for 80K and sold for 100K back to the holding company in 2015. How do I calculate what I should pay in Capital Gains?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When taking out the share sale from my tax return, I owe £51. When inserting the share transaction, I owe £7K. I thought that it would be around £3K. There is a summary of computations that has a question regarding gains qualifying for Entrepreneurs relief? I am MD of the company that I developed over this period.
Hi. Assuming the share purchase wasn't part of an Enterprise Management Scheme and that you didn't hold 5% or more of the voting shares, you won't qualify for entrepreneur's relief which would have limited the CGT rate to 10%. Take a look at HS275 for more information on ER. Your gain will be £20,000 and the first £11,000 will be tax free assuming you had no other gains in the same tax year, 2015/16. The balance of £9,000 will be charged to CGT at 18% or 28% or a combination of the two rates depending on the level of your income in the tax year of disposal. So, your liability will be somewhere between £1,620 (18%) and £2,520 (28%). I cannot see how your CGT can be as high as you appear to have got it. Have you shown the gain as a gain and not income? I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tony - please see attached from my tax return. I did also pay a lump sum into my pension of £40K but don't think that this is confusing things as I spoke to the tax office and they told me to put £50K in the right box. If I suggest that I sold the shares for £80K, I owe £51 at the end of the return.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to mention that income was £97896 and paid £28,678 tax. We also took a £40K dividend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually - I have just changed it back to selling at £100K and calculation is £2543. The higher payment looks like a payment due which includes a payment in July for the previous tax year.
The gain was £20K so that's what needs to be disclosed. The gross pension contribution is £50,000.