How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I look after my mother (at least 35 hours per week) &

This answer was rated:

I look after my mother (at least 35 hours per week) & receive carers allowance. I do not live with my mother but travel there & back every day (approx. 8-9 miles per day) & sometimes take her out one day over weekend - am I entitled to tax relief on petrol used please & if so, how do I go about claiming?
Hi. I'm afraid that you cannot claim tax relief for your fuel costs. Even if carers were treated as employed or self-employed, there would be no tax relief for the cost of travel to and from a fixed place of work. I hope this clarifies the matter for you but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you