How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4947
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I left my last employer through VOluntary redundancy 6months

This answer was rated:

Hi I left my last employer through VOluntary redundancy 6months ago. I haven't worked or claimed any benefits since. Because my salary income and taxable proportion of my redundancy meant my income was 104k I have been advised I need to complete a self assessment tax return. When I complete this it is showing a tax refund due of 9k which doesn't sound right ?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the exp[erts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Firstly the first 30K of any redundancy payment to you is tax free. It is thus entirely possible taking that into account that, as you have not worked nor claimed benefits for six months, the computation could be correct. I see from the tenor of your question that you are using the HMRC on line tax return. Personally I would not use that media, I am a great believer in making a paper tax returns and letting HMRC work out your position, but that is merely my preference. I do hope that I have been able to shed some light on to your position.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.