How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4803
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I'm a British digital nomad and I've spent most of my time

Customer Question

I'm a British digital nomad and I've spent most of my time abroad since 2012. In the last year my business has suddenly taken off and I need to know where I stand in terms of my status with HMRC going forwards and what I need to do for them at this point.
According to the statutory residency test I am non-resident to the UK for tax purposes, but still it's confusing and I need someone to look at my specific situation and let me know some answers.
However if I'm gonna pay for an answer, I will need reassurance of 2 things:
1. That the advice I pay for will stand as official advice from a qualified accountant, and that I could foreseeably use this advice to back up my case in any potential issues I may run into with HMRC (currently there are no issues since as far as I'm aware I've stayed within UK tax law). If your answer here is going to say "but you need to officially meet with an accountant to take official advice", then I'd politely decline that advice. I need something concrete.
2. That my question and answer will not be shared with the public through this site.
If anyone can offer what I'm asking for I can be extremely specific about the whole situation since I've already typed it out and am ready to paste it in at request.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, a Chartered Certified Accountant, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Before we go any further a few basics. When you left the UK did you wend a Form P85 to HMRC? If you did not you should do so immediately. Fortunately there is not time limit as it its submission, it is available on the web and can be filed on line. On receipt HMRC will classify you as non resident after which you can spend up to 91 days in the UK without breaching your non residential status. You will find life much easier if you use the P85 procedure. Do you wish to proceed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let's proceed please.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
One problem Just Answer is an open forum so these exchanges are available on the web.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's going to be a pretty big problem. I'm going to reveal a lot of personal information that has to remain private. I'm sure you understand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way we can proceed privately?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Oh yes completely. If you wish to end and seek a refund of your fee you should approach Just Answer Administration. Unfortunately Just Answer protocol precludes me from undertaking private work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see. So justanswer won't allow follow up questions via email? If they allow that, then my email is***@******.***. Guess they don't allow it though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I'll have to ask for a refund since you can't take on private work. Sorry to waste your time..
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
sorry to have to rain on your parade.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks anyway.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I could not help.