How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4959
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am working in the Middle East and am thinking of returning

This answer was rated:

Hello, I am working in the Middle East and am thinking of returning to uk. Will I have to pay tax on my earnings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I left the UK in April 2010 to work in Canada, I moved to Qatar in January 2012, I returned to England in December 2014, then left to Qatar in Jan 2015, I want to return to uk June 2016
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I returned to UK December 2014 left for Qatar Jan 2016 now want to return June 2016. Will I pay tax on Qatar earnings?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

First things first; when you left the UK in 2010 did you submit a Form P85 to the UK tax authorities? If you did not you should do so immediately. Fortunately there is no time limit as to its submission, it is available on the web and can be filed on line. Once submitted HMRC will classify you as non resident. Once you are in the P85 procedure when you return to the UK you advise HMRC of your return. You will then be subject to the split year treatment, one portion non resident and the other resident. Thus you will not be liable for overseas earnings received during your non resident portion.

Once you are in the non resident status you may return to the UK for not more that 91 days in any one tax year whilst retaining non resident status. Unfortunately your move to Qatar in 2016 and the return is too short a period for P85 action. You will have been over 183 days in the UK for both 15/16 and 16/17 tax years and thus be liable to UK taxation on your world wide income for those years.

I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Keith,Thank you for your answer.Yes when I left in 2010 I submitted my P85.Then when I returned in Dec 2014 I started to pay tax again.When I left in Jan 2016 I submitted my P85 again.Does the fact I have only been in the UK for 1 year in the last 5 years make any difference?How will government know how much I have earned? And how will they tax me?

Your P85 action for January 2016 will be ineffective as you will not have been out of the UK over a complete tax year.

The government may not know how much you earned in the Middle East, but you must still declare it on your self assessment tax return. Failure so to do would be a criminal offence. Remember Lester Piggott went inside for similar shenanigans. Remember that exchange of tax information between countries is becoming increasingly common.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I understand.One last question, if I wait until April 2017 will I avoid the tax issue?Thanks

Of you come back after the start of the 17/18 tax year [6 April] then the P85 will be effective and the split year principles apply for both the leaving and the returning tax years.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.

And your kind bonus.