How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4944
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

If I decide to sell some shares from a non-ISA holding and

This answer was rated:

If I decide to sell some shares from a non-ISA holding and make a capital gain, I realise that I will be taxed on the gain for the amount above the annual allowance. However, is this gain classed as Other Income (above the £300 allowance) that should be declared for my Tax Credits claim ? I do already declare any dividend income from this non-ISA holding. I work part time self-employed due to caring for a disabled child and receive both Working & Child tax credits.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Here is the advice from the notes to the Tax Credit form:

'We will not normally take capital into account when we work out
your tax credits. By capital we mean deposits in current and savings
accounts at banks and building societies, many lump sum payments,
the value of property, shares and other investments.'

This capital gain need not been declared on your claim form.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keith,
The notes from the tax credit form seem ok to exclude the "capital" whilst holding them, but do not mention the "gain" should I profit when disposing of them ?
I need to be 100% sure as I am considering the sale of a fairly large share holding that will result in a profit.

The gain is still part of capital when realised and does not form part of your income for either Income Tax nor Tax Credits. My advice to you would be not to include it when you fill in your form.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
basically the Gain is an increase in value of the Holding, rather than an Income from it, in terms of Tax Credits. As long as I declare the Gain in Self Assessment as the increase in Capital when released (sold), I will be ok?

Correct, your savings base has merely been increased. However, had you been granted bonus shares for example, that does count as income for tax credit purposes. The gain must be declared in your annual self assessment tax return in the usual way and any aggregate gains over the Annual Exempt Amount (AEA), currently 11.1K, taxed at 10% or 20% [16/17 tax year] depending on your income including the gain in the tax year of disposal.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brilliant, you have answered my question in full and given me confidence, very thorough :-)

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

Thank you for your support.