How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14166
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I purchased British Gas shares which became BG shares and

This answer was rated:

I purchased British Gas shares which became BG shares and now Shell shares.What base cost do I use for BG shares to calculate capital gains tax for the cash amount.


Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

At the time of each conversion it depends which option you took as to whether you use the original purcahse price - ir the newer price.

Can you advsie further -



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid I can't remember the details,I took what was offered in shares at each conversion,no cash.Chris

Hi Chris

Then as you had no payment made at each conversion - then you will use the original share price as the acquisition price which is deducted from the sale price to create the gain - and of course the first £11,100 is tax free - and any remaining gain liable to either 18% or 28% or a mix of both (depending on your annual income and what unused basic rate band applies



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you