How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7545
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have a two story house that I paid £68,000 24 years ago

Customer Question

I have a two story house that I paid £68,000 24 years ago and it is my main residence. I need to down size and I am considering making the upstairs into a self contained flat that I would expect to sell for approx £125,000 and for me to live in the ground floor. My house as it stands has been valued at £235,000. I am 73years old and receive the basic rate of pension and pay no tax. Would I have to pay CGT if so approximately how much. I would still be the feeholder.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.


Can you tell me what you consider the flat you intend to live in will be after the conversion please.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any idea as to what it will cost to convert the house into two flats?