How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My company is being taken over by a Swiss business. I have

This answer was rated:

My company is being taken over by a Swiss business. I have accepted a role with the Swiss Business working 4 days per week, being paid in Switzerland and having an address in Switzerland. However I will be back in the UK not working 3 days per week- my question is what would my tax liabilities be. I will be taxed at source in Switzerland but will I also need to pay tax in the UK and how much?


You will certainly be UK tax resident based on what you have told me, ie 3 days per week in the UK so you will have to pay UK tax on your Swiss salary. However, you will be able to deduct the Swiss tax from your UK tax liability on the same income under the terms of the tax treaty between the UK and Switzerland. You will need to complete a self-assessment tax return.

The first £11,000 of your UK earnings will be tax free in the UK. The next £32,000 will be taxed at 20%. The next £118,000 will be taxed at 40% and anything in excess of £150,000 will be taxed at 45%.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you