How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am currently serving in the army, I started in march 2015

Customer Question

I am currently serving in the army, I started in march 2015 at the age of 16 at the Harrogate Foundation College from starting uptodate I have been on the basic rate tax. I rang the tax office in March 2016 they explained they had a backlog and it would be dealt with as soon as possible. It is now june and I have still not be sorted. I would be grateful for your assistance.
Many Thanks
James *********
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello James, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Just Answer is an independent tax advice site and is not connected in any way to HMRC.

You should take a two pronged approach to your problems. Firstly you should write to the tax office which issued a basic rate tax code when you should have been receiving the normal personal allowance. For the 16/17 tax year this would produce a tax code of 1100L. Ask that office to amend your code to the proper level. You will see your tax code on your monthly pay slip just to check.

The second thing to do is to writhe a complaint to the tax office which you telephoned and mark your letter and the envelope 'COMPLAINT.' This might speed up the process a tad. You could complain to your MP also as HMRC tend to heed to this sort of pressure a little faster, but in basic terms it is just a case of plugging away at that Department.

HMRC have, like all Government Departments, suffered cuts and this is being reflected throughout the public services. Finally when everything is resolved make sure that the calculations are accurate; it is not unknown for errors to occur.

I do hope that I have shown you a way forward with your problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** take your advice.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Delighted to have been of assistance. You were dealt with by an ex AGC(SPS) Major who was RAPC before that!

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.