How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

This is question as part of my free trial. Please do not

This answer was rated:

Hello. This is a follow up question as part of my free trial.
Please do not answer if I have to pay again!Can you advise please where I can find a definitive list of expenses which can be legitimately used to offset rental profit.Specifically, can I legitimately claim tax relief against the Community charge we had to pay whilst the flat was empty (whilst awaiting a tenant) and similary the utility bills (mainly standing charges for water, gas electricity)The community charge we had to pay for the fallow period was about £300 so potentially £90 back in relief (average tax rate 30% as I am 40% tax rate and my husband is 20%). The utilities bills only come to about £90 combined so that's not so significant (£27 - I know you can do the sums!!)Thank you.

Here is a list:

You can claim a deduction for council tax and utilities costs you pay during vacant periods.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you