How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17145
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I have sold shares worth £204800 how can I save on the

Customer Question

Hi I have sold shares worth £204800 how can I save on the amount of tax I will have to pay
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


Your gain is usually the difference between what you paid for your shares and what you sold them for. If you owned them before April 1982 you use the fair market value on 31 March 1982 as your cost.

YOur best way to save on the tax is to make certain you calculate the correct gain.