How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17624
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I am self-employed. I travel regularly as part of my work to

This answer was rated:

I am self-employed. I travel regularly as part of my work to a city 100 miles away. If I rented an apartment in the city instead of using hotels each time I stay, can I claim some or all of the rental of the apartment? I would still have my main residence.


There are a number of expenses specifically disallowed by section 81, such as rent of private accommodation.

Where expenditure relates to both business and private use, only that part which relates to your business will be allowed. Examples of such expenditure are rent, electricity, telephone charges etc., where the premises involved is used partly for business and partly for private purposes. These expenses will need to be apportioned to exclude the private use.

Unless this private accommodation was specifically used for business (place to see clients) then no, you would not claim the expense.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If I use the apartment to see clients as well as to stay overnight myself, how should I go about apportioning the percentage of each of these uses for tax purposes?

The percentage of the place used for business only (an office space in the home). If the room was 10% of the whole and used just for business then 10% would be applied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. That's all I need to know. Best wishes. Tim

You are required to rate in a positive way (STARS or SMILEY FACES) if I am to be credited with responding.

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you