How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4807
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

As part of my new build home I want to get some hard

Customer Question

As part of my new build home I want to get some hard landscaping done - patio, steps under the doors,
kerbing along the sides of the drive and at the roadside, a retaining wall between the patio and a lawn area.
The house has not yet been signed off by building control as I have a couple of things still to do in the house.
SO, my question is, can the landscaper zero rate his work or do I have to try and claim the VAT back myself at a later date.
Many thanks
Chris Webb
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello Chris, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

In my opinion the landscaping of a garden is not part of a dwelling house with the definitions contained in VAT Notice 708 and cannot be zero rated; it is a standard rated supply. Furthermore I cannot see how any VAT paid on such a service can ever be reclaimed in the circumstances set out in your scenario. You can find the Notice here:

I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.