How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4956
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

If I have made £160,000 on an investment WRAP over 7

This answer was rated:

If I have made £160,000 on an investment WRAP over 7 years, how much Uk capital gains tax would my husband and I pay if we went back to Uk

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Before I can respond to you question I need to know what sort of wrapper is involved. For example if you have invested in ISAs, Child Trust Funds and pensions then they will be free of Capital Gains Tax (CGT) anyway.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Keith
It was a Hansards Capital Builder Medium risk in my name and my husbands.

I have had a look at the prospectus for this fund and it is suspiciously slient as to the taxation position. It would not appear to be an ISA, a SIPP, or a Child Trust Fund.

Accordingly this 140K gain, 70K each, will be subject to Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on sale. However, if you have held these investment for a period of five whole tax years whilst non resident in the UK there will be no CGT payable except on the difference in value since your return to the UK and then you each have an Annual Exempt Amount of 11.1K to offset any gain. You would probably be better off realising any gain before you return to the UK, but you may be caught by any similar taxation levied in the country in which you currently reside.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.