How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7509
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am a new consultant (Australian national) that is based in

Customer Question

Hi, I am a new consultant (Australian national) that is based in the UK and paid a UK salary. However, I am likely not to be in the UK for more than half the year each year (I travell globally for work) and I do not rent or have a property in the UK. At the moment, I pay UK tax on my full yearly salary (tax is automatically deducted from my salary each month). What should I do to minimise my tax?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Where do you actually reside for tax purposes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keith - I don't actually have a place of resident as I am travelling so frequently. However, my company is based out of London and I am paid a UK wage into a UK bank account
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, another question as I am more familiar with Australian tax. In Australia, you can claim tax deductions from your salary based on business related expenses. Can you do the same in the UK, and if so, how do I go about doing this? Thx
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

I have to tell you that you cannot simply swan about the globe and not be taxed anywhere. You must be taxed in some country and it appears likely that this will be the UK. As you are not an EEA citizen you have no personal allowance so all your income will be taxed at 20%, any over 32K will be at 40% and over 150K at 45%.

Your overall receipts can be reduced by any business expenses wholly and necessarily incurred in your operations.

You will have to register as self employed with HMRC and that Department will send you a self assessment tax declaration for completion annually.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bigduck, I am looking for a solution rather than a problem. I have heard that I can register for some sort of offshore vehicle in low tax countries where I can be taxed since I am not in the UK for the majority of the year. Can you please tell me more about this?I don't quite follow. How can I be registered as self employed if I am earning a salary from a company?