How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5113
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Can a Sole Trader who is to start a new limited company

This answer was rated:

Can a Sole Trader who is to start a new limited company still take £10k Goodwill into the company (Credit £10k to Directors loan a/c) which would be under CGT annual allowance, so no CGT to pay.
I am aware there is no tax allowance now on the Goodwill in the company.

Thank you for your question..

If the company is taking over a business as a going concern and it gives rise to a payment for goodwill to the sole trader, this would be chargeable to capital gains tax. Gains annual allowance against it is available.

The consideration would be treated as director's loan until such time it is paid in full.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Hi there, just checking to see if you have any further questions or need any clarification.

Many thanks and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.