How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Rental income decleration

This answer was rated:

Rental income decleration


What do you need to know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just found out that I needed to declare rental income from the past times. I would like to ask 3 questions regarding the rules around rental income decleration please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My total rental incomes have never been over £10000 and not over £2500 after deductions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you ready?

Yes, I'm ready but I don't type at 300 words a minute. What are your questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1- do I need to declare a tax return for my rental income which is less than £2500 for the previous years?

Are you employed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2- do I need to declare my rental income and PAYE income from my employment at the same time or separately?

Let me know what your third question is and then I'll draft an answer to each one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was employed at some years during the rental income periods but not all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3. In order to declare my expenses for a rented house, do I declare it from the time that the tax year starts or from the time when the house is rented which is half way through the tax year, for instance, I rented my property in October. Would my expence declaration be from 6th April or from October onwards?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's all the questions


I'm drafting an answer now.

My preferred option is to register for self-assessment and disclose all taxable income that way. The fact that your rental income is less than £2,500 does not mean it isn't taxable. It is taxable.

If you have a PAYE source of income, you can choose to have the tax collected on rental income up to £2,500 through your PAYE. If you have no PAYE source then you need to complete tax returns. In any event, you still have to have your tax checked at the end of the tax year.

You claim expenses from when the property is first let. So, if you stared to let in October, you work out your expenses from then. There are limited circumstances when you can claim pre-let expenses. Look here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much, that's great help


Would you mind rating my answer before you leave the site please.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you