How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have two new employees who are trying to sort out their

This answer was rated:

I have two new employees who are trying to sort out their correct tax code. Their previous employer is saying they have sent our there P45s however the individuals have not moved house and have not received anything. We have tried to call the HMRC however after being passed from pillar to post we are still no further forward.
Obviously this is having an impact on the amount of tax they individuals are paying in tax as they are on a Mnth1 as our system automatically defaults to this if we are not able to input previous P45 details. Can you suggest another way in which we might be able to approach this.
Many Thanks -


When did the two employees leave their previous jobs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sometime in May/early june 16 I understand.


1 You could ask the new employees for their final payslip from their old jobs which will have earnings to date on it.

2 If they don't have those, then they should each call their former employer and ask for the pay and tax details which have or will be reported to HMRC.

3 The employees could call HMRC for the P45 figures every day until HMRC have received them from HMRC. Under RTI, that should be pretty soon after they left but some employers are still having trouble complying with RTI.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you