How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5087
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I've been working in Indonesia last 6 years. Only visiting

This answer was rated:

I've been working in Indonesia for the last 6 years . Only visiting UK to see my family less than 60 days per annum. Company paid my Indonesian tax and I paid US hypo tax for the duration. I have just been made redundant and will be returning home probably to take up early retirement effective January 2017 . What liabilities will I have to UK tax on my savings that have been offshore while I have been overseas. Zero interest in offshore account. My house is in Scotland and my wife has stayed there while I have worked abroad. She would visit me for vacation breaks but mostly remained in UK due to slight disability and didn't like being in a hot country.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Juat Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Firstly, when you quit these shores did you complete a Form P85 and send it to HMRC. On receipt that Department will classify you as non resident. Once non resident you can spend up to 91 days in the UK in any one tax year without breaching your non resident status. The P85 is available on the web and can be filed on line. You will find dealing with HMRC much easier if you use the P85 process. On return to the UK you should advise HMRC of your arrival.

Assuming that HMRC have you classified as non resident, you will have no exposure to UK taxation on your overseas income and savings and can repatriate same without incurring any UK taxation. Just warn your bank of incoming funds and their source to preclude any money laundering inquiries that a large sum might attract.

I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter, but do not forget the P85.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On informing Tax office I was going overseas in 2001 I later received letter from Tax office that I was classed as non-resident as I had been transferred to Azerbaijan . I worked there for nearly nine years before being transferred to Indonesia.
My UK private pension was frozen around 2006 and I was transferred to Indonesia in 2010. All overseas work involved no visits to UK exceeding 60 plus days visitation per annum. S o well within 90 day ruling.

Delighted to have been of assistance, you are well in the clear as non resident.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.

And your kind bonus.