How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4956
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am now a fully retired NHS Clinical consultant who has

This answer was rated:

I am now a fully retired NHS Clinical consultant who has recently been awarded compensation for a mis-sold FSAVC in the 1990's. Please could you advise what tax liability I have as there appears to be much confusion about the tax status of such compensation payments.
Thank you.
Michael Craggs

Hello Michael, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be ble to help you with your question.

The compensation itself comes to you tax free. However, if there are elements of interest within the total paid then these are subject to Income tax (IT) in the hands of the recipient at their mrginal rate and must be declared on their annual self assessment tax return.

I do hope that I ahve been able to clear the ir for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that it very clear. However, is there some current documentary authority for this decision e.g. HMRC guidance note?

I did hunt for such guidance, but it is conspicuous in its absence!

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.