How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4953
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I'm thinking of immigrating to the UAE. I would be leaving

This answer was rated:

I'm thinking of immigrating to the UAE for work. I would be leaving my wife and family in the family home on which I still have a mortgage. Would I be liable for UK TAX if I leave and continue to pay the mortgage by transferring cash into UK account?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Firstly, when you quit the UK be sure to complete a Form P85 and send it to HMRC. On receipt that Department will classify you as non resident for the tax year after your date of departure and furthermore split the leaving year into two portipons, one resident and the other non resident. Once classified as non resident you may spend up to 91 days in the UK in any one tax year without breaching your non residential status.

Once classified as non resident any income you receive in the UAE is not takable in the UK. It may. of course, be subject to local taxation. Any funds you earn in the UAE may be transferred to the UK without exposing you to UK taxation. The only cautionary warning of which I must advise you is to make sure your UK bank knows the source of the funds if the sums involved are substential to preclude any money laundering inquiries large amounts might attract.

Your mortgage payments are irrelevant in the situation you envisage.

I do hope that I have been able to set you mind at ret on this matter, but do not forget the P85.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Keith, that was very helpful.

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.