How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4768
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have gained planning permission to build a house in my

This answer was rated:

I have gained planning permission to build a house in my side garden. My Intention was to build and sell. I believe I may be subject to capital gains tax if I do this, however if make it my PPR I would be exempt after a period of time is this correct?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

What is the overall area of the whole plot upon which your house and side garden stand. Once I know this I can advise you further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keith,Its under 0.5 hectares I believe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am just getting the exact size now Keith, been told 5 mins by the Architect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there Keith?

HMRC Helpsheet 283 states:

'If your garden and grounds do not exceed half a hectare (which is a little over 1 acre), you are entitled to relief for all of it'

Thus if this is the case, as you say it is, then it is within the 'permitted area,' half a hectare, and Private Residence Relief (PRR) applies to the whole holding which would be entitled to the relief. Thus any gain on the ultimate sale of part or all of the site would be entitled to PRR and this relief is at 100%; thus no Capital Gains Tax (CGT) to pay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keith, So my house, plot I intend to sell and back garden all need to be under half a hectare combined or does it just apply to the plot I intend to build on?

To obtain PRR on the whole shooting match the total plot must be within the premitted area. If it is so any sale of the plot or part thereof would be entitled to PRR.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks thats great!

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.