How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5995
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I'm a pensioner with a small self employed income. I'm

This answer was rated:

I'm a pensioner with a small self employed income. I'm getting a divorce and have very little income until the house is sold. My son has offered to pay my monthly rental if I choose to let. He is an ex pat who lives and works in Dubai. Can I be taxed on this?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

In a word, no. This constitutes a gift to you by your son and, as the UK has no gifts tax regime, it comes to you tax free. Just to be on the safe side make sure that he advises you in writing of this largesse.

I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your excellent support.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was happy with your advice but the company charged me £18 despite the fact that they advertise a 7 day free trial.

Sorry. I have just noticed your last comment. I am not involved with fees other than being credited on a rating. You should take this matter up with Just Answer Administration.