How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am a male pensioner with an excellent occupational pension

Customer Question

Hi i am a male pensioner with an excellent occupational pension from my past plus a retirement pension. I live as a carer on a voluntary basis since her husband died approx 20 months ago of secondary cancer. She has Parkinson's disease & finds some things difficult to cope with & i must admit that we still get on very well. Would my tax be reduced if we decided to remarry?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.


The only things that could reduce your income tax liability if you got married would be the married couple's allowance or the marriage allowance which you can read about here and here respectively.

For the married couple's allowance, one or both of you needs to have been born before 6 April 1935. The marriage allowance is available to those couples where both spouses were born after 5 April 1935.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.