How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16259
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have received interest on an investment years some

This answer was rated:

I have received interest on an investment for several years some £31,000,00 intotal


Can you give me some more information please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was receiving interest on a £100.00 investment in my son-in-laws firm which finished early last year which I had never declared. I wish to declare it now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How much am I likely to have to pay and will I face prosecution

Can you tell me over how many years you received the interest please. Are you continuing to receive interest?

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I started to get the interest from October 2012 until July 2015. I then reinvested in Dec of this year again £100.000

Would you like me to type my answer before I call you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. I will need a little time.

We are dealing with four years, 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15 and 2015/16. The declaration for 2015/16 won't be late until 1 February 2017.

You won't be prosecuted for a first offence of this nature. You will be charged interest in line with the rates here. If you make a disclosure using the Second Incomes Campaign which you can read about here, you will be able to limit the tax based penalty to 10% or 20% of the tax due. Otherwise, you could be liable to a penalty of 100% or 200% of the tax due.

Read the notes carefully and let me know if you have nay further questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Second Incomes Campaign seems to be for those in employment. I am an OAP of 77 years. Can I still use it.

The wording is vague but it doesn't specifically say that the income has to be earned income, though it does mention employees. If you are a pensioner, then you have an income so you could argue that the interest was a second income.

Paragraph 3.3 says that you should include any income not taxed under PAYE or that you have not declared. See paragraph 3.5 also.

The number you need to call initially is in paragraph 2.1 (0300(###) ###-####. If they tell you that you are not covered by the second incomes campaign, then you need to call the number in paragraph 1.3 (0300(###) ###-####.