How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14650
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

We did some work client to which we were to receive part

This answer was rated:

We did some work for a client to which we were to receive part payment in shares of their company. They have stated that they are going to pay the VAT component of the shares in shares, not cash. While this is certainly not something we are willing to accept (since we have to pay the VAT in cash ourselves) we would like to know whether their proposal is even legal. This is to assist us in formulating our reply to them.
Many Thanks.


Thanks for your response

No its not legal they must pay at least the VAT as monetary as this isnt even your money - this you collect for HMRC VAT based on your charge made - so you cannot sanction a payment in anything other than sterling to facilitate this (and you can quote this in your position back to them)

Let me know if I can assist further



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you