How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5113
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I would like to know how each year I can spend in the

This answer was rated:

I would like to know how long each year I can spend in the UK,without being liable to UK tax.
I have purchased a holiday apartment in England,but don't work or invest there any other way.I have a home in Australia which is not let out at any time.
I am semi retired,own a business in Australia and the time to be spent in the UK will be holiday only.

Thank you for your question..

You state you live in Australia and have a holiday home in the UK.

Based on information provided, provided you do not spend more than 90 days in a tax year (6 Apr to 5 Apr) in the UK, you would be deemed non resident.

A set of statutory rules came in to force wef 6 Apr 2013. Look at section dealing with arrivers and the the sufficient ties test ..

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions ,please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your prompt reply. With only 1 tie, ie the apartment in the UK, am I not entitled to a period in excess of 90 days per tax year?

Thank you for your reply..

Technically, you can stay upto 182 days each year as in later years unless your circumstances change you would have not more than 2 ties

1 - property in UK

2. you would have stayed maore than 90 days in prevous years.

I was stating 90 days to take care of one of the potential ties.

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to appear a little 'thick', can I then safely stay 182 days every year. I have not spent 90 days in the UK in previous tax years. I don't anticipate any further other ties.

Thank you for your reply.

As you do not anticipate having any further other ties in the foreseeable future, then you can safely stay in the UK for 182 days every tax year.

I hope this is helpful. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brilliant, thank you for your assistance. I will now complete the survey regarding your excellent service. Regards, Sid

Thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.

Your reward of a generous bonus is greatly appreciated.