How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6331
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

We have various letting properties. Someone has offered to

This answer was rated:

We have various letting properties. Someone has offered to purchase one of our residential flats with a view to changing it to commercial. They don't have the funds now so it would be our intention to let them pay it up over a certain period of time. We would be charging them interest annually on the remaining amount until they are in the position to pay the loan off completely. My 1st question is - would we be better to change the property to commercial ourselves and when would tax be due

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

As my old boss was wont to say it doesn't alter the price of cheese. You will be liable for Capital gains tax (CGT) on the gain made on disposal less your non cumulative Annual Exempt Amount (AEA) of 11.1K plus Lettings relief (LR) up to 40K if you occupied the flat either before or after the letting period. Irrespective of how the capital sum is paid the CGT liability crystalises at and in the tax year of disposal. The interest forms part of your income for Income Tax (IT) also.

I am so sorry to have to give such gloomy news.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it not the case that if we change this property to commercial ourselves, before the sale, that we would pay less CGT.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you get my last question?

Sorry, it would not make the slightest bit of difference.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.