How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5147
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

We have purchased some land and have planning permission to

Customer Question

Hi, We have purchased some land and have planning permission to build two houses. We would like advice on how to set up our company.
Sole trader - pay Capital Gains Tax?
Limited Company - pay Corporation Tax?
We are planning to sell both houses and we also have a mortgage on our own property.
Advice would be appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

As it is your intention to build two houses and then put them on the market for sale, as far as HMRC is concerned you would be classed as property developer and not property investor.

That being the case, your profit would be trading profit and not capital gain and subject to income tax/national insurance (sole trader) and not CGT. Income tax rate of 20% and 40% would apply.

If you were to trade as LTD company, the profits would be subject to CT at 20%.

Interest paid on any loan associated with the build of houses would be tax allowable expense.

Depending on what your intentions are for the future and the level of profit you expect to generate from these two houses, you may be better off setting up a LTD company.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Please only rate my answer if it is acceptable.

Expert: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, just checking to see if you need any further information or clarification.

Many thanks