How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4970
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Question re UK Tax. I started two companies last year and I

This answer was rated:

Question re UK Tax.
I started two companies last year and I am about to file the first tax return of each company. Both companies are owned 100% by myself and both made small losses in the first year of trading.
I am a Director with my wife of a third company (we each own 50% of the shares) that has been trading for 8 years and is going to make a profit this year. Can this company acquire the shares of the two other companies and use the losses made by the two companies to offset against the profit, thereby reducing the Corporation tax of the profitable company? If it is possible what forms are required for HMRC and what must I do for Companies House?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

One company can acquire the other then you will have a company group. Once the companies are grouped then tax losses can be carried up down and sideways to relieve other liabilities within the group. No special forms are required for HMRC or for Companies House although the latter organisation will have to be informed when the next Annual Return is made.

There is an alternative merely for the company with a profit to be billed by the company with a loss for services which will adjust the profitability of each company.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.