How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

What retirement relief is available to business disposals on

This answer was rated:

What retirement relief is available to business disposals on retirement?


Thanks for your question

Could you advsie further

What is being disposed of -Is it the business or assets

Is this a sole trader or limited company - if a limited company will there still be remaining directors, or if a sole trader will you sell just your share of the business and to whom , a third party or other partners or directors



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The whole of the share capital of a private limited company (not family) with no remaining directors. Sale to a USA based company
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sale is, of course arms length


Thanks for your response

Then as you will be selling the shares of an ongoing limited company then could benefit from your capital gain rate just being at 10% (so the first £11,100 exempt as this is the annual exemption allowance) and the remaining gain at 10% (rather than a mix of 18% or 28%)

Link here as to who applies for this entrepreneurs relief

Basically you need to

  • have shares or securities in a company where you have at least 5% of shares and voting rights (known as a ‘personal company’)
  • The company has been trading for at least one year prior to sale in which you owned for at least one year
  • The company trades rather then deals just in investment

If you think that you qualify based on the information above then do let an accountant work along with the legal team to make this sale to make sure you remain in a qualifying position

And thanks for letting me know its an arms length sale - always essential

Do let me know if I can be of any further assistance - but if you have all that you need then it would be appreciated if you could rate me for the level of service I have provided (or click accept)



You should be aware that from 6 April 2016 the rate of Capital Gains tax is at 10% and 20% not 18% and 28% unless residential property in involved.

bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.