Have Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Expert for Answers ASAP
Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
Only HMRC can classify your official residency status - and you should have completed form P85 when you took this overseas post up in Sept 2013.
But can you advise
1) Visits back to the UK between Sept 2013 and 05/04/2014
2) Visits back to the UK from 06/04/2014 to 05/04/2015
3) Visits back to the UK from 06/04/2015 to 05/04/2016
4) When your contract ceased in Qatar - did you then go straight to UAE or did you come back to the UK for a visit
5) Are you back in the UK - if so when did you arrive
6) Visits back to the UK from 06/042016 to the date you finally returned
7) Will the 6 months salary be paid before you return to the UK
I can then advsie your residency position and more importantly your position for this tax year
Thanks for your responses
Then you will not be liable to tax on this 6 months termination payment as made
1) Whilst still not UK resident for tax purposes
2) In lieu of overseas contract
Do let me know if I can assist further
As long as the payment is made before your return to the UK then it remains free of UK tax.
Then from your arrival back to the Uk - you will be entitled to full personal allowances against the UK income (as long as not in excess of £100K for the reminder of the year - as this sees a loss of personal allowances for £1 for every £2 over the £100K threshold)
If you have all that you need, it would be appreciated if you could rate me for the level of service I have provided (or click accept) but so let me know if I can assist further