How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5115
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Our main residence years is now let. We officially moved

Customer Question

Our main residence for ten years is now let. We officially moved May2014 and sold a part of the garden as a buildiing plot in November 2015.
I was advised that selling the plot as part of our main residence was not subject to CGT. As the sale took place within 3 years of moving I believe this is still the case. Do we need to declare this sale on our self assessment tax return?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question..

The plot was integral part of the main residence and would therefor qualify for private residence relief.

The plot was sold within 18 months of moving out.. You would declare the gain from sale of land on supplementary pages SA108 - Capital Gains summary . and explain whey CGT is not payable in "any other information box".

More information on this can be found under "garden and grounds" here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.