How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am registered a non Uk tax resident. I earn about 7,000

This answer was rated:

I am registered a non Uk tax resident. I earn about 7,000 pounds a year in rental income on a flat that I own and have no mortgage for. I am currently working for 2 months in Bath but won t exceed 11,000 pounds in income: salary and rental combined. As a non UK resident I only have 90 days that I can be in the country per tax year. But my question is as I m not exceeding 11,000 in income per year do I need to be a non UK tax resident?


Assuming you are a UK national, you will be entitled to the personal allowance whether you are UK resident or not. If you become UK resident, you will be taxable on your worldwide income, not just UK income. That's the difference between being UK tax resident and non- UK tax resident.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So understand it won t make any difference to how much tax I pay on the UK rental income if I m a UK non tax resident or not then. If I go to work in Portugal or an EU country (as things stand currently) I won t have to pay UK tax on that income?Thanks in advance

Take a look at the flowchart here. You cannot work more than 30 days in the UK in a tax year or your non-UK tax residency may be jeopardised which might bring non-UK income into the UK tax net.

You might also refer to RDR3 for detailed information on the Statutory Residence Test.

I have to go out for a while but will be back to answer any further questions you may have a bit later today.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.. Thats good for now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I have another question for you: According to the helpful flowchart you sent me I view myself as a non-resident Arriver. I am a British citizen but have been non-resident for the last few years. This year I have been arrived and been here since May 18th. I see myself as having 2 ties: I have accommodation available for 91 days or more (my mothers home) & I would also like to spend more than 90 days in the country this tax year. I will have worked this summer for 29 days full time (5 hours a day) and 18 hours of 2 hours a day- thus not breaching the 3 hours a day stipulation.So my question is according to the rules am I a non resident if I say between 90- 120 days? (but not more than 120)Many ThanksTim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You should be non-resident. Paragraph 3.15 in RDR3 as it applies to you says that the 18 days you will have worked for 2 hours a day won't count as part of the 40 days. I'm assuming you have been non-UK resident for the three previous tax years but have spent 90 days .

Ignore the "but have spend 90 days" part of my previous post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your quick reply. That's correct have been non resident the last five years and have never spent more than 90 days in the country in any of those years.

No problem.