How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have recently moved to a new home (home 2). I kept my

This answer was rated:

I have recently moved to a new home (home 2).
I kept my previous home and I am now renting this property out (home 1).
I bought home 1 in 2005 for £301k.
I remortgaged home 1 in 2016 to free up equity to buy home 2.
Home 1 was valued at £650k and I left 25% equity in the property at £162,500 and took a mortgage for the remainder.
I transferred the remaining equity as deposit to buy Home 2.
I appreciate that home 1 is now a buy-to-let and as such I am liable for capital gains tax in the event that the value should appreciate.
However I wanted some advice as to how capital gains tax would be calculated for Home 1 if I was to sell it. At the time of purchasing Home 2 there was no actual sale of the house just a re-mortgage. The re-mortgage took place 6 months ago.


As far as CGT is concerned, the mortgages are irrelevant. What you do with the remortgage monies is up to you but you won't get a deduction for them against property 1.

If you sold property 1 today, you would make a gain of £349,000 or so (£650K - £301K). You can claim the costs of purchase and disposal against the gain. That part of the gain covered by your occupation of the property will be exempt from CGT as will that part of the gain covered by the last 18 months of ownership. As you have let the property as well as having lived in it, you will be entitled to a further deduction from the gain called letting relief which will be the lesser of:

1 £40,000 per part owner,

2 the sum of the gain covered by your occupation of the property and the gain for the last 18 months of ownership and

3 that part of the letting period gain not covered by the last 18 months of ownership.

Take a look at example 9 in HS283 to see how this works.

There are two rates of CGT for residential property, 18% and 28%. The rate or combination of rates that you will pay will depend on the level of your income in the tax year you make the gain. No more than £32,000 can be taxed at 18% and that figure will reduce by £1 for every £1 of income you have in excess of £11,000, the personal allowance.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you