How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4944
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

What rate of capital gains tax will I pay on a rundown

Customer Question

what rate of capital gains tax will I pay on a rundown property I bought and done upto resell
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

The trite answer is as long as the proverbial piece of string!. However, take the purchase price add the purchase costs including Stamp Duty Land Tax then add the costs of doing up the premises. This will give you an acquisition price. Now note the net selling price ie after deduction of selling costs including advertising and take away the acquisition price. The figure with which you are left will be the gain for Capital Gains Tax (CGT). Now deduct your non cumulative Annual Exempt Amount (AEA) of 11.1K and the remaining figure will be the gain exposed to CGT. This will be levied at 18% or 28% or a combination of the two rates depending on your income including the gain in the tax year of sale.

There is one danger. HMRC may class this activity as trading in land and make the gain subject to Income Tax (IT) as opposed to CGT. That Department has been known in the past to classify just one such transaction as so trading.

I do hope that you have found my reply of some assistance.