How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

L want advice in relation to Stamp Duty.

This answer was rated:

l want advice in relation to Stamp Duty.


Can you tell me what you would like to know please.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

It would be useful if I knew what the question is before I call.


Your son will have to pay the stamp duty surcharge as you refer to it. See Example 9 here which mirrors his situation pretty much. This contrasts with Example 10 where the owner has 10 buy to lets and the property he lives in and because he is selling the property he lives in and buying a new home to live in, he won't have to pay the surcharge. That is the inherent unfairness.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.