How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I invested into an EIS which has gone into liquidation. I

This answer was rated:

I invested into an EIS which has gone into liquidation. I received 30% tax relief on investment but now that the business has failed, can I get further tax relief? I have been told only against capital gains rather than this correct?


Subject to meeting the criteria, you can claim income tax relief against income for a loss on EIS shares (the original investment less the income tax relief given). You can claim relief against income of for the tax year of the loss or against income of the previous tax year.

Take a look here and here for more information.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not fully understanding>> from what you sent I can only claim against capital gain. What do you mean if i meet certain criteria? what is negligible value?

Let me get my reference back up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You need to make a claim for the loss in your tax return for the tax year that the shares became worthless and then chose whether you want to claim income tax relief against the tax year of the loss or the previousl tax year. I've dont it many times for clients. Why do you think you can only make a claim against gains?

Customer: replied 1 year ago. new accountant says it can only be claimed against capital I'm regretting moving
a little and needed confirmation of my thoughts

If you look at the SA108 CG pages here, you are given the option of claiming certain capital losses against income.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is all capital gains........what about income? sorry if I'm being stupid

You enter the loss in the quoted or unquoted boxes on page CG2 and then claim income tax relief in boxes 12 and/or 13 on page CG1.

Not at all.

Or boxes 14 and 15 on page CG1.

If the company still exists put NVC (see page 3 of the notes here) in box 22 on page CG2. If the company has been duissolved, put OTH in box 22 on page CG2 instead. Then, give details of the claim in box 38 of page CG2

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you..........Ill talk with him.......................
my big problem is that i was a substantial earner before retiring my self in Sep 2014. I am living on savings until i take my pension. I do have the ability to crete earnings from my sipp to take me back into a 40pct tax payer

The higher your income in the tax year of loss or the previous tax year, the better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the company went into liquidation this year which is 2016....can i really use my income pre 2014?

If the loss is incurred in 2016/17. you can claim against income of 2016/17 or 2015/16. See the notes here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats my problem thanks.....................

If the company was in trouble in an earlier tax year, you can try to claim that the shares were of neglible value in an earlier tax year and, if you are successful, claim tax relief against that tax year or the one before.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't think i can do that but thanks for your help Tony


Would you mind rating my answer before you leave the site please.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.