How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5147
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Would i need to pay Capital gains tax in the below

This answer was rated:

Would i need to pay Capital gains tax in the below scenario...
Sold my only property in March 2016
Gains before allowances = £45k
Owned property for 65 months
Lived away from home for the last 47 months due to job location
Rented property out for most of the 47 months
I am in the 40% higher income tax band

Thank you for your question.

I will revert to you with CGT calculations shortly.

Many thanks

Thank you for your patience.

You are correct in your understanding that absences totalling not more than 4 years qualify for private residence relief provided

- the distance from your place of work prevents you living at home, or

- your employer requires you to work away from home in order to do your job effectively

More information on this is covered in helpsheet HS283 (look at period of absence after example 6) here

There will be no CGT payable, therefore no calculations provide.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask mebefore you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you