How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5113
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

If I sell a buy to let property do I have to pay capital

This answer was rated:

Hi if I sell a buy to let property do I have to pay capital gains on it if I invest some or all of the proceeds in another buy to let property

Thank you for your question..

Gain from sale of residential property is chargeable to CGT upon sale.

You cannot defer or roll over CG relief on it as the property is not used as a furnished holiday letting.

More information on where Business asset rollover relief is available is covered in helpsheet HS290 here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Hi there

Just checking to see if there are any issues I have not answered from your question or if you need further clarification.

Many thanks

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes