How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5115
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

If i moved abroad and rented my property in the meantime, do

This answer was rated:

If i moved abroad for work and rented my property in the meantime, do i pay capital gains on this period as i thought i got a four year period of relief

Thank you for your question.

If you moved abroad for work and used the property as your main residence on return then the period of absence is taken as if you lived in the property over that time.

This period is covered by private residnce relief. You would not pay CGT on this period.

More information on this can be found in helpsheet 283 here (look at example 7)

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I owned the property for 10 years, lived in it for the first 19 months then moved for work. I stayed abroad for 6.5 years and returned to another property as my new work in the uk was too far away to commute from the old property. I then bought a place and retained the old property. Do i get relief on those first four years.

Thank you for your reply..

Based on what you have stated, you are covered for

- absences during which you are in employment and all your duties are carried on outside the United Kingdom (UK), and

absences totalling not more than 4 years when

- the distance from your place of work prevents you living at home, or

- your employer requires you to work away from home in order to do your job effectively

You would get relief for the first 4 years provided you did not claim the property you bought on your return as your main residence as you can only have one property as main residence at any one point.

I hope this is helpful. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The property i bought was my main residence only 18 months ago. The first property was owned for a decade. Does that still count in terms of the four year relief
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.