How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4959
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

The P85 form advises not to complete if a self assessment

This answer was rated:

The P85 form advises not to complete if a self assessment return is due which we have now filed for the year we left, do we still complete this form or is there another form to complete as both my Husband & I were self employed.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

The P85 makes provision for any reclaim of tax due on leaving the UK. As self employed you will have to self assess for each tax year you were resident. As you say you have already done this there will be no problem, but the completion of the P85 is essential to keep HMRC in the picture to ensure that your residency for UK tax purposes is correct. You will find dealing with HMRC much easier if you use the P85.

I do hope that my reply helps. Remember the P85 is processed by another tax office, not necessarily your own.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.